Re: RFS: x-no-session-manager - restore default X behavior with gnome/kde installed

Joel Aelwyn <fenton@debian.org> writes:

> On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 10:49:34AM -0300, Bruno Barrera C. wrote:
>> On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 11:32 -0200, Leo "Costela" Antunes wrote:
>> >
>> > This could be a wishlist bug for X.
>> >

>> Goswin wrote:
>>
>> "PS: I talked to Branden Robinson about this a long time ago and he
>> wasn't intrested in providing this in Xfree86 directly."
>>
>> IMHO, this should be discussed again with the X Strike Force since I
>> really don't think that users must install this package to change this
>> feature.
>
> Perhaps the real answer is that the X core packages should be providing
> these scripts as an alternative, directly. It isn't "none", it's "the
> default X session management".
>
> Disclaimer: I may be a member of the XSF, but I have not dug into the
> x-session-manager stuff any time recently, nor do I presume to speak for
> any opinion but my own.

If you can convince the rest of the XSF to do this I would be
thrilled. That installing galeon always takes over the x-session
management has anoyed me for years now and having a seperate package
for something so trivial is suboptimal.

You could probably stick the shell code that gets executed when no
x-session-manager is found into a x-default-session-manager script,
provide that as alternative and always call x-session-manager then.

MfG
        Goswin