Re: Package split/merge advice

Brian Nelson <pyro@debian.org> writes:

> Jan Alonzo <jmalonzo@unpluggable.com> writes:
>
>> Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> writes:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> (on somewhat related topic)
>>
>> I recently filed an RFP on itagalog and aspell-tl and one of the developers
>> said that I should consider merging both sources since they use the same word
>> list.
>>
>> <snip>

>>> I didn't check how big the individual upstream data files are, but yes,
>>> if they are rather small, you can consider creating a merged
>>> "orig".tar.gz file from all of them.
>>
>> Would this be ok in my case? Get all the aspell files, put in
>> ispell-tl, and build the binary packages for aspell and ispell from
>> there? But that will make my orig.tar.gz lose its pristineness?
>
> What aspell files are you putting in, precisely?  The dictionary
> packages available from aspell.net are contain wordlists that are
> pre-compiled to an extent.  You don't want to include those; rather, you
> should generate those from the common wordlists (the plain, uncompiled,
> newline-delimited ones).

tl.dat (word list) and the 'info' file.

> If you have an upstream tarball containing the plain wordlists, you
> should be able to keep that pristine and add the rest of the stuff to
> the diff.gz.  If you don't, then there's probably no reason to attempt
> to combine them.

That's the problem. The aspell.net (and ispell) tarball _is_ the 'upstream'. I
already talked to the upstream maintainer of the word list and we're planning
to setup a single source for the word lists (just waiting for alioth's
approval). So I guess, I'll stick with separate sources for the meantime.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

--
Jan Alonzo                          <jmalonzo@unpluggable.com>