Re: Package split/merge advice

Jan Alonzo <jmalonzo@unpluggable.com> writes:

> Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> writes:
>
> Hi,
>
> (on somewhat related topic)
>
> I recently filed an RFP on itagalog and aspell-tl and one of the developers
> said that I should consider merging both sources since they use the same word
> list.
>
> <snip>
>
>>> way. I'd like to receive advices about the matter.
>>
>> I didn't check how big the individual upstream data files are, but yes,
>> if they are rather small, you can consider creating a merged
>> "orig".tar.gz file from all of them.
>
> Would this be ok in my case? Get all the aspell files, put in
> ispell-tl, and build the binary packages for aspell and ispell from
> there? But that will make my orig.tar.gz lose its pristineness?

What aspell files are you putting in, precisely?  The dictionary
packages available from aspell.net are contain wordlists that are
pre-compiled to an extent.  You don't want to include those; rather, you
should generate those from the common wordlists (the plain, uncompiled,
newline-delimited ones).

If you have an upstream tarball containing the plain wordlists, you
should be able to keep that pristine and add the rest of the stuff to
the diff.gz.  If you don't, then there's probably no reason to attempt
to combine them.

For example, see the ispell-da source.  It builds ispell-da, wdanish,
and aspell-da packages from a common wordlist.

--
For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!