Re: RFS: rc-sysv-conf

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Thomas Hood wrote:

> Comments arising from first use:
>
> * Installation went fine
> * postrm can be run by /bin/sh
> * control
>   + Description mentions ntsysv which I can't find in
>     the Debian archives
>   + Don't mention rcconf because it is going to be
>     removed from Sarge
> * README
>   + "different then" -> "different from"
>   + "compatiable" -> "compatible"
> * Changes
>   + Normally this file is named 'ChangeLog'
>   + Duplicates changelog.gz
> * rc-sysv-conf(8)
>   + Incorrectly named rc-sysv-conf(8)
>   + Keystrokes should be documented here
>   + Please include FILES section describing the
>     /var/lib/rc-sysv-conf/services file.  What
>     information is stored there and Why?

Good thoughts Thomas, I've made the suggested changes.

> * rc-sysv-conf
>   + --cache option should not be named that because
>     the information stored there isn't cached (i.e.,
>     it can't be regenerated if it is deleted).  Or am
>     I wrong about that?

Actually the file is updated/created every time the program is launched.
I've added a description of the file, how it's created, used, and
updated to the man page.

>   + Operation is very SLOW.  It takes about one second
>     to move the cursor from one entry to the next.
>     This is on a Pentium III system with lots of RAM.

Yes, the speed of it has been my main concern too. I've got some ideas
on how to speed things up, which I'm working on now.

I'll hopefully package up a new version this weekend when I've got the
speed issue under more control.

	-Joe Oppegaard