gpsd package (looking for a review)

Hi,

I've prepared a package for gpsd, a GPS (Global Positioning System)
daemon. See [0] for the ITP.

I'm not looking for a sponsor (someone already offered to upload it as
soon it is in good shape), but for opinions. Generally regarding
quality, and a couple of specific questions.

- The package contains shared libraries, which as far as I know are only
used by the gpsd programs. As I understand it, small packages can keep
their libraries in the main package. But is this the preferred option?
Would generating lib* and lib*-dev packages be unneccesary bloat or not?
(Note that I already split out a couple of helper or test programs into
a package called gpsd-clients to keep the dependencies for the main
daemon small.)

- Basically the same question for python modules. I'd like to move them
out of the main package to reduce the dependencies even further. One of
the helper programs uses them - can I put them in there? Does a python
module need to depend on python - surely any program using this module
will depend on python anyway? (lintian says it needs to.)

You can find the packages at [1].

Any comments much appreciated!

Cheers, Til

PS A GPS is not needed to run gpsd, it just won't give out a position...

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2004/10/msg00843.html
[1] http://www.subnetz.org/debian/