Re: RFS: kst: A KDE data analysis program

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 01:35:34PM +0100, Mark Hymers wrote:
[...]
> There is a KDE NMU in incoming at the moment which fixes the libopenexr
> issue.  Could you offer me one piece of advice?  Should I make the
> Build-Depends on kdelibs4 versioned (i.e. kdelibs4 (>> 3.3.0-1.1)) to
> make sure buildds don't waste time trying to do it with 3.3.0-1?
[...]

No, that is useless. - It does not change a thing.

The buildds do not automatically evaluate Build-Depends before they
download and try to build the package. They download the package,
install build-dependcies (ignoring the version requirements) and only
after that check whether the version requirements are fullfilled.

Let me show you the different outcomes on a autobuilder with old
kdelibs:

* with versioned Build-Depends:
buildd downloads package and tries to install kdelibs4. apt screams
loudly because libopenexr0 is not available.

* without versioned Build-Depends:
buildd downloads package and tries to install kdelibs4. apt screams
loudly because libopenexr0 is not available.

The buildd administrators can *manually* set pre-dependencies to save
buildd time (Dep-Wait),buttheycan do that no matter how the
Build-Dependencies look like.
                 cu andreas