Re: xfree86-driver-synaptics blocked by xserver-xfree86 on s390

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 12:03:38PM +0200, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 09:50:09AM +0200, Mattia Dongili wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > the subject[1] says it all, will it ever be an xserver-xfree86 for s390?
> > otherwise I'd better chance my package's Architecture field before sarge
>
> There is, today. Notice that xfree86 itself was also stalled by it...
>
> Expect your package to go in tomorrow. Do not simply change the
> architecture field because one or two architectures are behind, rather,
> try to research *why* your package doesn't go to testing. In this case,
> Bjorn's page shows wrong information (Cc'ing him). It said:

Oops, I was wrong...

I checked out the xfree86 source package, but not the xserver-xfree86
binary package of it. Indeed, it is not available on s390, and never
will, since s390 is a mainframe without input controls. Also, s390
doesn't have any possibility to connect a touchpad to.

I don't really know what to do about it, maybe ask d-d (this is a quite
tricky problem) or debian-release.

Some suggestions I heard:
- contact ftp-master to add this one to Packages-arch-specific
- make your package FTBFS on s390, and have ftp-master remove the s390
  binary. It will propagate nicely then, a FTBFS on an unsupported
  architecture is possible. But this will make s390 attempt to build it,
  so isn't really nice to do.

So the best thing you can do is ask ftp-master for advice I think.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
http://Jeroen.A-Eskwadraat.nl