newbie hello

Hi, I've been using Debian for a few years, and I'd like to help out.

I love Debian as a server on older hardware, and I'd like to use it on my desktop too. Sadly, I've always found it lacking in desktop-relevant areas like hardware autodetection/configuration and support for newer hardware. I just did a sarge install the other day, and I'm impressed. The hardware detection seems to be much better than in woody. The notable exception seems to be that X still doesn't automagically work as it does in some systems i.e. Knoppix.

How would I help with something like this?

Thanks,
Nick Urban