Re: question and request for comments on php4-interbase package

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 21:33:12 -0500
Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 01:36:12AM +0200, Remco Seesink wrote:
> > 2) Is there a license on translations and debian files? (the files in
> > the debian directory). Is this some debian default? Or is it
> > considered to be to marginal to have copyright? In other words. Is it
> > ok to copy the way I did.
>
> If it's a Debian package in main, it's reasonably safe to assume that
> the packaging has been placed under a DFSG-free license that permits
> copying.  For completeness, your debian/copyright file should document
> the copyright of the packaging itself, if it's substantial enough to
> warrant separate copyright.
>
> With translations, IME the accepted practice is to identify the
> contributors in the changelog.  I'm not sure how this would mesh with
> translations borrowed from another package; I presume as long as the
> original .po source file still contains attribution, most translators
> are ok with this.

I think my package is pretty small so I leave it as it is. Translation
files still contains names and e-mail from the original translators.

> > 3) I have the following warning during build:
> > dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: format of libgds.so not recognized
>
> > Should I change anything since libgds.so is not in my package?
>
> That's a rather troubling error.  Does something in your package *link*
> to libgds.so?

I am not sure if this was the right way to find out, but it looks like a yes to me:

remco@seesink:~/packaging/php4-interbase-4.3.6$ grep libgds.so * -R
Binary file debian/php4-interbase/usr/lib/php4/20020429/interbase.so matches
interbase.c:     * When the Interbase client API library libgds.so is first loaded, it registers a call to
Binary file modules/interbase.so matches

> What does 'file' say about the format of this file, if
> dpkg-shlibdeps doesn't recognize it?

remco@seesink:~$ file /usr/lib/libgds.so
/usr/lib/libgds.so: symbolic link to `libgds.so.0'
remco@seesink:~$ file /usr/lib/libgds.so.0
/usr/lib/libgds.so.0: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), stripped

It is in one of these packages libfirebird-c32, libfirebird-s64, libfirebird-s32, libfirebird-c64
which are orphaned. See http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=237532

Is it fixable in php4-interbase or only in firebird?

> --
> Steve Langasek
> postmodern programmer

Cheers,