Re: debian-mentors@lists.debian.org

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 01:41:47AM -0700, William Ballard <40414.nospam@comcast.net> wrote:
> Will anyone around be available to meet at some Starbucks and sign my
> key?  I can put it on a floppy and I have a Debian laptop; never done
> this, so I don't know the process.
 You don't need any floppy nor laptop (especially not, who would trust
you that there's no hidden daemon recording every keystroke, possibly
the password on the secret part of a key?).
 Create a GPG key, you have already done this as I read. Upload the
public part to any keyserver like pgp.mit.edu then search someone who
volunteers to sign your key and plan a meeting. For that you need to
write down the public key details on a paper together with your name
etc. Lookup your key signer on db.debian.org , and get his/her key
details - when meet personally exchange the papers while checking
his/her identity by a personal card with photograph (the more you check
the more you can trust the other is really that person). Then go home
and wait a signed mail with your attached and signed key. Check that it
has the correct signature on it, then you can re-upload your key to the
keyserver and you are done.

Hope this helps,
Laszlo/GCS