Re: Grab bag of questions

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 06:14:32PM -0600, Benjamin Cutler wrote:
> Pending a response from Raven, would it be at all acceptable to place
> the acc package somewhere offsite and have the zeth package tell you
> where to get it, or is even that running afoul of policy?

You could put zeth in contrib if it depends on acc, or if acc isn't
required, then zeth could go in main.

> Also, I can't believe I forgot this, as it was one of my major questions
> that prompted be to write the e-mail in the first place. zeth uses some
> functions from Allegro 4.1.x, but the version in the Debian archives is
> outdated. (4.0.3) I was able to "backport" a few functions (which is
> quite acceptable due to the license on Allegro), but that's a messy way
> of handling it. What's the best way to handle this?

Get allegro updated in Debian, either by asking Sam Hocevar to do it,
helping Sam to get the new packages made, or taking over the package with
the prior maintainer's (or debian-qa, if the maintainer is MIA) consent.

> I've scrapped the zeth-doc package altogether, as well, as there's a
> much more updated site available (http://www.zdoom.org/wiki/), and is
> licensed under the GNU Doc License. I might attempt to package that up
> at some point, but I doubt it, since it's a Wiki site, so it's extremely
> transient.

You could always make a snapshot of the wiki at appropriate times and
release that as the documentation.  Several packages are no more than
snapshots of upstream at fairly randomly picked dates.

The biggest problem is going to be that the docs on the Wiki are
GFDL-licenced, which is a non-DFSG-free licence.

- Matt