Re: Separating packages.

On Monday 05 April 2004 14:31, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 09:24:10AM +0000, WHAT'SYOURNAME wrote:
> > I'm debianizing a package that I would like to split up, like:
> > package-backgrounds
> > package-icons
> > package-examples
>
> Why? How big are the components? Would somebdy e.g install
> package-name without package-icons or the other way round?
>            cu andreas

Contemplate debian-policy 11.8: Programs for the X Window System.
(It is clearer,  wrt. to your question, in older policy versions).

No micro management of components that are installed together anyway.
(Dpkg has to read the whole database on every system every time;).

I have (taken over) such a package, and while it even makes some sense
with that specific pkg, which is why i haven't changed it yet, it is a
constant pain for me and users of it - i know what i tell you about ;-)

Have a nice day, martin