Re: .desktop files

On Monday 05 April 2004 14:40, Bartosz Fenski aka fEnIo wrote:
> Is there any policy describing location of .desktop files?
> I've just checked Debian Policy, FHS and Developer's Reference, but
>
> I tried to check some packages to find how do they solve this issue,
> but now I'm really confused.
>
> qt3-designer: usr/share/applnk/Development/designer-qt3.desktop
> rhythmbox: usr/share/applications/rhythmbox.desktop
> pppoeconf: usr/share/gnome/apps/Internet/pppoeconf.desktop
> texmacs: usr/share/texmacs/TeXmacs/misc/mime/texmacs.desktop
>
> And in addition my upstream program tries to install his .desktop
> file in /usr/X11R6/share/applnk/Network/Mail/<name>.desktop

[That's freedom - sometimes confusing! Viewed theoretically, it stays
so. Practically, ...:]

u/sh/applnk - a KDE menu entry
u/sh/applications - a KDE application entry ;-)
u/sh/gnome -  gnome only?
u/share/.../mime - a mime type

u/X11R6/share/applnk/Network/Mail/<name>.desktop - i don't think this
will be found by many programs on a Debian system.

Seems, that nobody knows exactly? There was some discussion of the files
and locations used by KDE in its HelpCenter - saw it just before
upgrading, now it seems gone and i didn't find anything but on
freedesktop.org - uhm, interesting but not too related ;-)

May be, http://www.kde.org/areas/sysadmin can help?

Have a nice day, martin