Re: How to deal with SONAME which changes very often

On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 07:22:13PM +0200, Bartosz Fenski aka fEnIo wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 11:14:22AM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > > Well I thought about it, but this doesn't solve every my doubt.
> > > How could I name this package? Are there any policies about it?
> > > What if next version occures? How to solve it?

> > > Upstream maintainer answered me, and he told, that his packages (netwox
> > > and netwag) are the only publicly available one.

> > > So this would be some kind of solution, to provide every time those
> > > three packages depending on library.

> > > But how should I name it, and how should I solve new upstream releases?

> > You would name it libnetwibab-dev, and whichever static lib was current
> > at the time would be the one provided by this library.
> libnetwibab-dev ? what's that suffix ab ?
> I made libnetwib-dev now.

It was part of the name of the static lib quoted in your previous email.
If it's not supposed to be part of the lib name, then yes, amend the
package name accordingly.

> > With no shared library, there would be no non-dev lib package.
> Ok, so I screw up my package... I've made libnetwib-dev and libnetwib...
> I thought it's good to provide another package with header files.

If all you have is a static lib and headers, one is not useful without
the other.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer