Re: How to deal with SONAME which changes very often

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 10:29:47PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> > I would like to package some very useful set of utilities[1].
> > It depends on library of the same author[2].
> > Unfortunatelly SONAME of this library changes with every new version.
> > And to make this problem more annoying, new releases shows very often
> > (about one version per two weeks).
>
> Imho the only sane way to deal with this is not shipping the shared
> library but only a static one.

Well I thought about it, but this doesn't solve every my doubt.
How could I name this package? Are there any policies about it?
What if next version occures? How to solve it?

Upstream maintainer answered me, and he told, that his packages (netwox
and netwag) are the only publicly available one.

So this would be some kind of solution, to provide every time those
three packages depending on library.

But how should I name it, and how should I solve new upstream releases?

Please give me some hints... I'm not experienced with that situations.
In fact, I'm not Debian developer yet (last stage), but I'd really like
to see this package in Debian.

Thanks for every answer/suggestion.

regards
fEnIo

--
      _     Bartosz Feński aka fEnIo | mailto:fenio@o2.pl | pgp:0x13fefc40
    _|_|_    32-050 Skawina - Głowackiego 3/15 - w. małopolskie - Polska