Re: How to adopt Package 'taper'?

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Rene Tschirley wrote:

> Due to the WNPP the package 'taper' is orphaned for quite a long period
> of time. According to Martin Michlmayrs posting in debian-devel, the packet
> will be removed from Debian if nobody volunteers to become the new
> maintainer. I use taper and think it would be a pity to loose this
> software. If still nobody volunteered, I would.
>
> The Applicant's Checklist requires me to find an advocate before applying
> to become a new maintainer. I contacted the current maintainer, Piotr
> Roszatycki, some days ago, but didn't receive an answer. If somebody of
> you has got further information or is willing to act as my advocate,
> please let me know.

Finding an advocate is not a matter of asking here and having one pop out of
the air.  An advocate is supposed to be someone who knows you and your work
well enough to be able to confidently say "I would be happy to have this
person as a member of Debian".  For my (much longer) thoughts on this
matter, I refer you to the thread commencing with
http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2003/debian-mentors-200304/msg00137.html

In short, to get an advocate you'll need first to show you are capable of
doing the job (more or less).  To do that, you should grab the latest taper
sources, fix one or more bugs (starting with the most important first) and
post here asking for a sponsor (which is wholly different from an advocate;
a sponsor is merely someone who uploads packages to Debian on your behalf).
After a while, your sponsor will likely be your advocate, if he/she believes
you do good work.  Then you're off on the path of NM.

Since taper is on the to-be-purged list, I'd get in contact with Michel or
whoever's managing the purge, letting them know you're in the process of
getting sponsorship for a maintainer change.  That should keep the package
from being purged for a while.

- Matt