Re: NUM request procedure

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Drew Scott Daniels wrote:

> 	What would be the proper procedure for requesting an NMU? Assuming
> that all the conditions are met as described in
> http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/ch-pkgs.en.html#s-nmu and
> it's sub sections, except that the person desiring the NMU is not a debian
> developer, would it be appropriate to bother a Debian developer to do an
> NMU? Who should be bothered with this request?

Assuming that the patch has been submitted to the relevant bug report and
the maintainer has said "I don't have time for this, NMU if you want", any
of the usual bodies here would possibly handle it (normal sponsorship issues
notwithstanding).

Otherwise, you could post a full and detailed description of what you want
done here and someone might take it up.  Be prepared for a deafening
silence, though - the usual fear of NMUing will be greatly multiplied by (a)
NMUing on someone else's say-so, and (b) most developers' unwillingness to
sponsor other people's uploads.

If the maintainer has given the green-light for an NMU, you'll have a much
better chance of getting it sponsored - doubly so if it scratches some
developer's itch.

Why don't you give us all the details, and then we can make a much more
informed decision?

> My answer so far has been Colin Watson is the person to bug, but then I

I wouldn't pester Colin outright for this sort of thing.  He's one of the
most publically active developers I've seen, and I'm sure he doesn't need
every NMU-sponsorship request on his plate as well.  I'm sure he'd try and
accomodate you if possible, but it's unfair to lump it all on him.

> don't want to flood him with work, annoy him with requests... He's just
> stepped forward allot in all the different forums that I've looked at for
> NMU's. I've found that sometimes there doesn't seem to be a correct forum
> and that's part of my problem.

I think discussion of NMU practices amongst newbie (and pre-newbie)
developers is appropriate here.

> For "public" security bugs I would bug the Security Team, but they seem
> overworked and may be getting frustrated going through my requests... I've

If it is a real security bug, which you think needs fixing, then a message
to security@d.o mentioning the bug number abd why it's a security hole (if
that isn't clear from the bug report) won't be disregarded.  It *is* what
they're there for.  Just make sure it's a security bug first.

> started trying to write patches, fix up bugs to be more accurate,
> investigate vulnerabilities... I'm not a Debian developer and I haven't

That's all good work, and I for one would like to thank you for the effort.
Most DDs should take your contributions with gratitude (I know I do when I
get help from others with my bugs).  If you find cantankerous sods who
berate you for helping them, you can either find someone else to help, or
just ignore them and make them look really bad when all of their open bugs
have patches supplied by someone else.  Then ridicule them of d-devel[1]
<grin>.

> For now I'll keep on doing what I'm doing and post NMU requests here when
> I don't see a more appropriate forum.

I think this would be the place to ask for them.  Don't expect any
resounding offers for help, though - remember the natural reticence of the
DD to move beyond his comfort zone.  <g>

[1] Actual ridicule on debian-devel may result in a very "warm" reception.
Ridicule not advised unless underpants are asbestos.

#include <disclaimer.h>
Matthew Palmer, Geek In Residence
http://ieee.uow.edu.au/~mjp16