Re: NM's to fix bugs? (Was: Asking for an advocate (gURLChecker))

On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 11:36:15AM +0300, Jarno Elonen wrote:
> This advice is quite usual on this list. I think there are a few reasons why
> it's not as common thing for non-DDs to do as it maybe could be:
>
>  + There are so many packages and so many bugs that it's really hard to
>    say where to start.
>
>    There should be some way to priorize the packages as well as bugs:
>    it's clear that fixing grave bugs is more valuable than whishlist
>    items but should I pick "axyftp-doc" or "mhc-utils"? It's clear that
>    most bugs will be fixed by package's maintainer but if the goal is a
>    solid release, wouldn't it be a good idea to direct "extra pairs of
>    hands" to the most important tasks?

You've got the release-critical bug list, which is a good place to
start. Or, pick something you're interested in and hack on it: I did
lots of work on lintian before I became a developer, and the maintainer
at the time was very grateful for it
(http://lists.debian.org/debian-newmaint-discuss-0102/msg00019.html).

>  + The bug tracking system is a less clear and more difficult to use
>    than in many other open projects.

You mean that you find it less clear and more difficult to use. I find
it much clearer and easier to use than most.

>  + You often get cranky response for suggesting fixes.
>
>    The classics are "RTF-doc-behind-the-door-with-beware-of-the-leopard-sign",
>    "do you really think we haven't considered this already?" and the synthesis
>    of those two, the "this was already discussed a month an a half ago in
>    #importantstuffnotforusers-italian". No good suggestions here - I'm afraid
>    it's human nature to be annoyed by ignorance. :-/
>    However: an NM is a *New* M - please remember to cut us some slack..

Oh, sure thing. On the flip side, though, NMs do need to make an effort
to show interest in the project as a whole, I think: remember that the
developers who are prominent and doing a lot of work now were also
typically doing a lot of similar work before they became developers.
IMO, and from experience, it's better to hang around the fringes of the
project for a while looking for somewhere where you can really make a
difference rather than jumping straight in the first time you find
something packageable.

I think the right answer nowadays is to help other developers with their
work for a while and then ask them if they're willing to advocate. If
somebody had been sending me lots of more-or-less-working patches for
things I hadn't had time to fix and then sent me a quiet mail asking me
if I'd advocate their NM application, I'd almost certainly say yes. I'm
much less likely to say yes when people pop up out of the blue.