Re: Should I sign up for New Maintainer even though I don't have an advodcate?

"B. Douglas Hilton" <bdhilton@charter.net> writes:

> Yeah, but I'm such an old fart... I actually used to run Debian 0.97
> on my old 386 (and it was sooo cool). As far as Linux is concerned,
> I have always used Debian and nothing else. For years and years I have
> just been a "Debian User" -- now I want to be a developer.
>
> That being said, I am a pretty spiff programmer. Yes, by occupation I
> am a Mechanical Engineer, but at work I write programs 90% of the time
> because I am the #1 programmer at my place of work. And I have been
> involved with hacking Debian for some years. I don't want to steal
> Marcus's and Thomas's fame, but I had pthreads working in Debian Hurd
> before it was included because I hacked the crap out of GNU Pth and
> got it to build. I spent mega hours building Hurd cross-compilers to
> try and debug OSKit/Mach and unfortunately it failed, but I made some
> minor contributions before my SMP motherboard died.
>
> I posted this to debian-hurd@lists.debian.org but I will repost it here
> as well, I guess, to help document my case...
>
>> Look here... http://cvs.ossp.org/pkg/lib/pth/ChangeLog
>> Search for "Hilton" and you will see:
>> *) Add Autoconf support for GNU Hurd.
>>       [B. Douglas Hilton <doug.hilton@engineer.com>]
>
> I have been quietly been trying to help Debian for a very long time,
> and I just want to join the community. I'm a degree'd Mechanical
> Engineer, for Heaven's sake, that alone should be enough,

Yeah, yeah, a real rocket scientist I'm sure... ;)

> nevermind that I can debug kerenels, write mean programs, and pound my
> share of brews and keep a smiling face all the while :-)
>
> Ok, one of my SCSI drives is clicking (probably the one I got on Ebay)
> lucky there's nothing on it right now. Gotta go. Anyways I am one mean
> programmer... I actually understand GNU Autotools ( I became a Linux
> Wizard of Third Rank at that time ) and I'm not some gnubie.
>
> Fine, I'm glad to help "unofficially" ... what do you want me to do?

Poke around here and see if anything looks interesting to you:

http://www.debian.org/devel/todo/

Sending patches to the BTS, especially for release-critical bugs, is
always helpful as well.  Right now, we have around 800 RC bugs.

http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/
http://bugs.debian.org/~cjwatson/severity.cgi

--
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less
than half of you half as well as you deserve.