Should I sign up for New Maintainer even though I don't have an advodcate?

I can complete the entire checklist except I do not have
an advocate. Last year I checked the box anyways and was
dropped from the list after 6 weeks or whatever it is.

I would really like to be a contributing member of Debian,
but it is the chicken and egg thing. I can't help until I
become a member, and until I become a member I'm not that
enthusiastic.

I went to DebConf2 in Toronto and had my key signed last
summer. I have a package which I rescued from oblivion
and modernized and ported, and I have been using Debian
since 1992!

Now I am finally out of school, have the time and money to
be a good developer, and it is nearly impossible to join
a 100% volunteer effort? You shame me.

Anyways, my silly XDrum package is here, just waiting for
an advocate / mentor / sponsor.

http://www.gyrodynamic.net/debian/xdrum/

So should I "check the box" even though I do not have an
advocate? My key was signed by:

  Amaya Rodrigo Sastre <amaya@debian.org>
  LaMont Jones <lamont@debian.org>
  Alexander Pennace <alex@pennace.org>

I'm into Debian/Linux and Debian/Hurd, but lack of membership
severely dampens my enthusiasm. I have X86, Arm, and HPPA machines
and think I could be a great benefit to Debian.