Re: Should I sign up for New Maintainer even though I don't have an advodcate?

On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 12:50:14AM -0500, B. Douglas Hilton wrote:

> I would really like to be a contributing member of Debian,
> but it is the chicken and egg thing. I can't help until I
> become a member, and until I become a member I'm not that
> enthusiastic.

It is not true that you can't help without being a member. The idea
is that you get first involved with debian, in particular by
maintaining a debian package via a sponsor. This is assuming that your
primary interest is to maintain debian packages - there are other
ways to contribute.

Then, if you want to apply for debian membership you should contact
the debian members you have worked with and ask them whether they
are willing to advocate your application.

Regards -Ralf.