Re: Should I sign up for New Maintainer even though I don't have an advodcate?

Ralf Treinen wrote:
On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 12:50:14AM -0500, B. Douglas Hilton wrote:

I would really like to be a contributing member of Debian,
but it is the chicken and egg thing. I can't help until I
become a member, and until I become a member I'm not that
enthusiastic.

It is not true that you can't help without being a member. The idea
is that you get first involved with debian, in particular by
maintaining a debian package via a sponsor. This is assuming that your
primary interest is to maintain debian packages - there are other
ways to contribute.

Then, if you want to apply for debian membership you should contact
the debian members you have worked with and ask them whether they
are willing to advocate your application.

Regards -Ralf.

Yeah, but I'm such an old fart... I actually used to run Debian 0.97
on my old 386 (and it was sooo cool). As far as Linux is concerned,
I have always used Debian and nothing else. For years and years I have
just been a "Debian User" -- now I want to be a developer.

That being said, I am a pretty spiff programmer. Yes, by occupation I
am a Mechanical Engineer, but at work I write programs 90% of the time
because I am the #1 programmer at my place of work. And I have been
involved with hacking Debian for some years. I don't want to steal
Marcus's and Thomas's fame, but I had pthreads working in Debian Hurd
before it was included because I hacked the crap out of GNU Pth and
got it to build. I spent mega hours building Hurd cross-compilers to
try and debug OSKit/Mach and unfortunately it failed, but I made some
minor contributions before my SMP motherboard died.

I posted this to debian-hurd@lists.debian.org but I will repost it here
as well, I guess, to help document my case...

Look here... http://cvs.ossp.org/pkg/lib/pth/ChangeLog

Search for "Hilton" and you will see:

*) Add Autoconf support for GNU Hurd.
      [B. Douglas Hilton <doug.hilton@engineer.com>]

I have been quietly been trying to help Debian for a very long time,
and I just want to join the community. I'm a degree'd Mechanical
Engineer, for Heaven's sake, that alone should be enough, nevermind
that I can debug kerenels, write mean programs, and pound my share
of brews and keep a smiling face all the while :-)

Ok, one of my SCSI drives is clicking (probably the one I got on Ebay)
lucky there's nothing on it right now. Gotta go. Anyways I am one mean
programmer... I actually understand GNU Autotools ( I became a Linux
Wizard of Third Rank at that time ) and I'm not some gnubie.

Fine, I'm glad to help "unofficially" ... what do you want me to do?

Regards,
Doug