age in libraries and debian package names

Hi.
(A special hello to Junichi who is CCed because of his libpkg-guide.)

I'm having a package that will probably use the age feature of release
numbering. (I.e. libfoo.a.b.1 to indicate that programs linked against libfoo.a
and libfoo.(a-1) can use it as documented in the libtool docs.) I've searched
the docs (including libpkg guide) for hints what to do in terms of packaging.
Should I just ignore the binary compatibility or should I add a "Provides:
libfoo(a-1)"? (a-1) being the result of calculating the predecessor of a.
Advice is appreciated, as are examples in the archive.

TIA

Thomas