Re: age in libraries and debian package names

> Hi.
> (A special hello to Junichi who is CCed because of his libpkg-guide.)
>
> I'm having a package that will probably use the age feature of release
> numbering. (I.e. libfoo.a.b.1 to indicate that programs linked against libfoo.a
> and libfoo.(a-1) can use it as documented in the libtool docs.) I've searched
> the docs (including libpkg guide) for hints what to do in terms of packaging.
> Should I just ignore the binary compatibility or should I add a "Provides:
> libfoo(a-1)"? (a-1) being the result of calculating the predecessor of a.
> Advice is appreciated, as are examples in the archive.

You are going to use the SONAME of the library, which will be different
from the numbers you give to the libtool versioning.
The package name is going to be derived from the package name, so
you don't need to play with the provides and such things.

regards,
	junichi