Re: Missing files in /etc

fredagen den 10 januari 2003 20.06 skrev Stephen Gran:

> I've seen this behavior occasionally on some of my boxes, and I wonder
> if the problem is that the newer version of a pckage has a conffile that
> the older version doesn't have.  Hmmm . . not very clear.  Like this:
>
> package-foo_1.2 conffiles:  file1
>                             file2
>
> package-foo_2.0 conffiles:  file1
>                             file2
>                             file3
>
> Does dpkg interpret the (missing) state of file3 as appropriate?  I
> haven't had the chance to investigate.  I would think that the intended
> behavior is no, but I've seen this come up on various lists and here, so
> I wonder.

I just got a report of a file in etc missing in one of my packages. It was a
mistake, and I put it in. Installing it, replacing the old package, installed
the file, so I think that answers that question. If a new file comes as a
conffile, that was not in the previous version of the same package, it gets
installed.

Still I don't understand the circumstances for which a file is not installed,
when upgrading. It should not happen, but it does occasionally.

The new KDE, when it goes to SID, will have a potential to get this error
since it has a very essential file in /etc. Let's see if anyone will get this
problem when upgrading. If not, it is a very rare thing.

Karolina