Re: Missing files in /etc

Karolina Lindqvist <pgd-karolinali@algonet.se> writes:

> That is the individual solution when the trouble is there. But is
> there no way to make the package so that the trouble does not occur,
> or at least is warned for?

If random files go missing on your system you have bigger problems.
I.e. if /etc/foo.conf vanishes and this breaks package foo it does so
immediately. An upgrade just won't fix this situation (purging and
reinstalling should, though). That's just a side effect of our promise
to keep modified conffiles intact (removal counts as special case of
modification).

Of course package maintainers are free to cry bloody murder in their
postinst if some essential conffile is missing. But it better be
really essential or complaints will invariably come in.

--
Robbe