Re: UTF-8 in copyright files?

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 01:40:35PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 03:07:59AM +0100, David Weinehall wrote:
> > Of course, UTF-8 whereever possible is a nice goal to strive after,
> > and I think that the debian-specific files are a good place to start.
>
> Would the place to start not be to make sure that every piece of debian
> supports it, and make it a release goal ? I doubt it is still time for
> sarge, but maybe for sarge+1 ?

Depends how practical that is, I guess. For example, it's still unknown
when groff will support it properly (as in UTF-8 input; UTF-8 output is
more or less OK now), since nobody's yet done the work and it's Hard. I
don't think we'd want either to delay sarge+1 by an arbitrary amount of
time until that happens or to drop man pages from the distribution ...
erm, let's not turn this into a man vs. info war! Anyway, proper UTF-8
support often involves a significant amount of upstream design work and
development, which contrasts somewhat with things that have been release
goals in the past.

Something with the force of a "should" is probably what we want, but I'm
not sure how to phrase it.