Re: UTF-8 in copyright files?

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 18:44, Joel Baker wrote:

> Is it valid to use UTF-8 in the debian/copyright file? (Specifically, it
> is possibly to accurately reproduce a copyright symbol, using UTF-8, which
> would be a nice thing to have...)

There exists no policy for this; therefore common sense takes
precedence.  UTF-8 is fast becoming the defacto standard character set
(with good reason) so I'd use it.

It's probably a good additional point that most of the standard
character sets have no © symbol and that there is no legal basis for
"(C)" being a valid representation of it.

On the other hand, policy states UTF-8 for Changelog which breaks katie
if your name contains accented characters because you're still forbidden
by policy to use UTF-8 in debian/control.

We are become grey; we stand between the policy and the star...

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?