Re: UTF-8 in copyright files?

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 12:58:44AM +0100, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 07:29:59PM +0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> > On the other hand, policy states UTF-8 for Changelog which breaks katie
> > if your name contains accented characters because you're still forbidden
> > by policy to use UTF-8 in debian/control.
>
> Since UTF-8 isn't yet by default supported on all systems (at least not
> on my sarge system), I would rather choose for going on the safe side,
> using only 7-bit latin1.

You must mean either "7-bit US-ASCII" or "8-bit Latin-1". "7-bit
Latin-1" doesn't make sense; you might as well just say ASCII. 8-bit
Latin-1 is an increasingly bad idea considering the number of users and
developers whose native languages aren't compatible with Latin-1.

Sarge systems support UTF-8 really quite well, though, with a tiny bit
of locales configuration. Even woody systems support them with only a
few unpleasant bugs.

Cheers,