Re: UTF-8 in copyright files?

Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes:

> Sarge systems support UTF-8 really quite well, though, with a tiny bit
> of locales configuration. Even woody systems support them with only a
> few unpleasant bugs.

Testing this the other day with groff: using framebuffer utf-8 console
and GNOME terminal with Bistream Vera Sans Mono.  Neither can
represent a UCS hyphen correctly!

This is with LANG=en_GB.ISO-8859-1 and man -Tutf8, and
LANG=en_GB.UTF-8.

Is any special configuration required for a Unicode console?  I
noticed in particular that I needed to run unicode_start to put the
console into UTF-8 mode.  Can this be defaulted anywhere?  In
addition, are there any UCS fonts for the console?  I'm currently
using lat1-16.psf, but there doesn't appear to be an obvious UCS
alternative.  I'm quite confused as to how all the .psf, .acm, .sfm,
and .uni files all fit together--surely with UCS, most of these become
unnecessary (other than keyboard mappings)?

Apart from that, I've noticed no brokenness so far.  UTF-8 text really
does look good!

Regards,
Roger
(looking forward to UTF-8 support in GCC!)

--
Roger Leigh