Re: Adding files to a package...

Greg Kiyomi <gregkiyomi@digitaljunkies.ca> schrieb:

> Hello,
>
> I'm attempting to create a package from upstream source and I'm
> wondering how to add a file to the package that is not included in the
> source (e.g. a config file in /etc or a missing man page).
>
> Do I have to  add the files in the source itself (something I'd rather
> not do as my C programming skills are very limited),  in the Makefile
> somewhere (again, my knowledge of these is slim) or is there a way to
> include the file in the 'debian' directory and then point to it from
> somewhere (similar to the method for including init.d scripts and
> logrotate.d scripts perhaps).

Depending on what it is, the Makefile or debian/rules would be the
appropriate place (debian/rules is a Makefile, too). For a manpage I
would add an appropriate entry to the install target of the upstream
Makefile (and forward the fix to upstream, of course). For a
configuration file it might be different, at least if it is specific for
Debian - you could add it under binary-arch (or binary-indep, if
applicable). Rather use install(1) instead of cp(1).

> I have tried putting the file in the debian directory in the correct
> path but it gets overwritten when I run dpkg-buildpackage.

That should be the clean target, I guess.

Bye, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie