Adding files to a package...

I'm attempting to create a package from upstream source and I'm wondering how to add a file to the package that is not included in the source (e.g. a config file in /etc or a missing man page).

Do I have to add the files in the source itself (something I'd rather not do as my C programming skills are very limited), in the Makefile somewhere (again, my knowledge of these is slim) or is there a way to include the file in the 'debian' directory and then point to it from somewhere (similar to the method for including init.d scripts and logrotate.d scripts perhaps).

I have tried putting the file in the debian directory in the correct path but it gets overwritten when I run dpkg-buildpackage.

Thanks in advance,