Re: Adopting orphaned packages (axkit and relatives)

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Michael K. Edwards wrote:

> I am currently running AxKit on woody + backports of many packages on
> which it depends.  If I understand correctly, I will need to build on
> sarge (or sid?) in order to produce a package fit for upload.

sid.

>  Should I
> begin by setting up a sarge system, and if so, what is the best procedure
> currently?

Look into the dchroot and debootstrap packages (you will probably have to
backport the latest sid versions for best results)  What you do with these
packages is create a system within a system in which you install sid and
build packages without affecting your normal environment. for instance on
my laptop, I run testing, but I use this method to build packages in a sid
chroot which I keep updated with apt-get just as if it were a standalone
system.  It works well for most packages though daemons can be a problem.
(i.e. if you are running apache on the outside, it won't be able to bind
to port 80 inside the chroot.)

There's also pbuilder but I haven't really looked into that yet.

> I will also need a sponsor for an upload once I have built a new package.
> As there are currently no outstanding bugs and no new upstream releases, I
> plan to start by just changing the maintainer address, running the result
> through its paces using my axkit-based pages and the example code, and
> making it available to a sponsor for upload.  The next step is probably to
> update the Standards-Version and polish away any warts revealed by lintian
> and linda.

axkit has been on my radar for a while so I'd be willing to sponsor your
upload.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>