Re: Renaming a package

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 00:58:37 +0200, Andreas Metzler <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org> said:

> On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 05:16:53PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 10:03:11 +0200, Andreas Metzler
>> <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org> said:
> [...]
>>> quoting a recent discussion on debian-devel:
> [...]

>> The response should be to determine where these glitches lie and
>> fix them, rather than just compromising on quality.

> Go ahead, invest your time if you think it is important enough.
> Personally I think there is (and will always be) more important work
> to do while Debian's release interval is >>12 Months.

	I understand that the lure of fresh commits is often greater
 than quality control; especially in little corner cases like this
 that nevertheless contribute to the quality of the distribution.

	But that is a far cry from deliberately going out of our way to
 break compatibility by removing the dummy package prematurely.

>> > I would like to add to this experience that all the packages
>> > added after woody's release have never been tested whether their
>> > debconf-scripts run with potato's bash at all (see e.g. #209720).
>>
>> Sounds like a bug to me.

> Could you be more verbose what you consider to be a bug?  [ ] The
> fact that we don't regularily make test installations of sid
>     packages on potato

	Regularily? Or ever?

> [ ] The fact that potato's bash has some bugs that sid's one does
>     not.

	Do we need to use these features that would break potato's
 bash in install scripts? Used to be the case that one was careful and
 minimalistic in installation. Hmm. I'll be testing my packages out in
 a potato chroot  to be sure.

>  [ ] Something else.

	Breaking our traditional compatibility from the version
 before stable in to unstable (though perhaps that tradition has been
 broken as often as it has een observed of late).

	manoj
--
I put instant coffee in a microwave and almost went back in
time. Steven Wright