Re: Renaming a package

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 03:09:39PM -0400, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> In the upcoming version of the `emacs-goodies-el' source package, I want
> the following to happen to these bianry packages:
>
>  `emacs-goodies-extra-el'
>    -> removed and contents merged into `emacs-goodies-el'
>
>  `debbugs-el'
>    -> replaced by `debian-el'
>
> I did the following in the control file:
>
> Package: emacs-goodies-el
> Replaces: emacs-goodies-extra-el
> Conflicts: emacs-goodies-extra-el
> Provides: emacs-goodies-extra-el
[...]
> So it's holding back the two affected packages.  However, installing
> them explicitely works:

I do not claim to have grokked R/C/P completely but I think its main
purpose is to tell dpkg/apt which package to remove if another package
with identical R/C/P is _selected_ by the user.

I think you'll need to use a dummy package:
Package: emacs-goodies-el
Replaces: emacs-goodies-extra-el
Conflicts: emacs-goodies-extra-el (<= version where
                              emacs-goodies-extra-el had real content)

Package: emacs-goodies-extra-el
Depends: emacs-goodies-el
Section: oldlibs
             cu andreas