Re: [OFFTOPIC] passwd-ng

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 09:52:22AM -0700, Blars Blarson wrote:
> In article <[🔎] 20030924130435.GN16087@khan.acc.umu.se> david@southpole.se writes:
> >Don't you just look forward to the final release of my little project
> >passwd-ng? (Google will find it for you, I'm sure...), which will bring
> >a lot of sanity to Unix user and group management.  Those who have
> >ever tried the {ls,rm,ch,mk}{user,group}/chgrpmem commands available in
> >AIX have tasted it already; I'm reimplementing these commands, suitably
> >adapted to Linux.  Maybe some day I'll actually get around to make a
> >first release...
>

> Hopefully you won't be reimplementing the bugs:
>
> Date-time format: use something both human readable and sortable.
> 	  (mmddHHMMyy is neither, seconds since 1970 is at
> 	  least the latter.  "yyyy-mm-dd HH:MM:SS" would be good.)

yyyy-mm-dd is the format I'm using (haven't bothered with hh:mm:ss yet.
Will implement later though.)

> Consistant interface
> 	   (some of the commands use -a before attributes, other don't)
> 	   (see date format above)

I've tried to be consistent, but there are some reasons to deviate.

> reserved username
> 	 If ALL is used to indicate all users, how can I have a user
> 	 named ALL?

Simple.  You can't.  You can have one named all though ;-)  I think I'll
keep it this way.

> readable output
> 	 lsuser has a glop of output that it is difficult to find
> 	 anything in.

You can specify what attributes you want to show via --attr.

> backend
> 	/etc/passwd must stay.

It will.

> 	things being updated by login should be in a database.

Care to provide examples?

> 	The additional administrator set things should be in another
> 	editable file.

/etc/shadow and /etc/gshadow
>       I'm not fond of the paragraphs of glop format of /etc/security/passwd.

I haven't recreated the /etc/security-mess.  Most of it doesn't map too
well into Linux, at least not yet...

> wishlist:
> 	inactive-expire (expire after x days with no login or other password
> 	requiring activitiy.)

Ahhh, nice idea.  Will consider implementing...

/David
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /) Northern lights wander      (\
//  Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel   //  Dance across the winter sky //