[OFFTOPIC] passwd-ng (Was: Re: camsource -- a modularized and multithreaded webcam-streaming software)

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 10:16:31AM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:

[snip]

> > Sure, thanks. After 10 years of unix I've just learned a new
> > adduser-option after keeping removing myself from auxiliary groups
> > while trying to add one ;)
>
> That is just Debian's nice adduser/useradd, RedHat's does not provide
> this ;-)

<plug class="shameless">

Don't you just look forward to the final release of my little project
passwd-ng? (Google will find it for you, I'm sure...), which will bring
a lot of sanity to Unix user and group management.  Those who have
ever tried the {ls,rm,ch,mk}{user,group}/chgrpmem commands available in
AIX have tasted it already; I'm reimplementing these commands, suitably
adapted to Linux.  Maybe some day I'll actually get around to make a
first release...

The main issues still remaining is adding PAM support, making mkuser
and rmuser handle home-directories properly, and implementing passwd,
chpasswd, {add,del}{user,group} (the latter two will only be small
wrappers, since all functionality needed will be available in the
other commands already...

In time, I'm going to need help with testing (well, I already need testing,
but I don't recommend using this software on production machines, and
I have not audited the code more than once yet, so there are bound to be
at least some dark spots that need to be fixed before it can go live on
multiuser-systems without having to fear h4xx0r5...), LDAP, NIS/NIS+,
and PAM, so if anyone feels that having a better user management system
in Linux, now is the time to download the source (and/or the debs) and
try them out.

</plug>

Regards: David
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /) Northern lights wander      (\
//  Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel   //  Dance across the winter sky //