Re: [OFFTOPIC] passwd-ng

In article <[🔎] 20030924130435.GN16087@khan.acc.umu.se> david@southpole.se writes:
>Don't you just look forward to the final release of my little project
>passwd-ng? (Google will find it for you, I'm sure...), which will bring
>a lot of sanity to Unix user and group management.  Those who have
>ever tried the {ls,rm,ch,mk}{user,group}/chgrpmem commands available in
>AIX have tasted it already; I'm reimplementing these commands, suitably
>adapted to Linux.  Maybe some day I'll actually get around to make a
>first release...

Hopefully you won't be reimplementing the bugs:

Date-time format: use something both human readable and sortable.
	  (mmddHHMMyy is neither, seconds since 1970 is at
	  least the latter.  "yyyy-mm-dd HH:MM:SS" would be good.)
Consistant interface
	   (some of the commands use -a before attributes, other don't)
	   (see date format above)
reserved username
	 If ALL is used to indicate all users, how can I have a user
	 named ALL?
readable output
	 lsuser has a glop of output that it is difficult to find
	 anything in.
backend
	/etc/passwd must stay.
	things being updated by login should be in a database.
	The additional administrator set things should be in another
	editable file.  I'm not fond of the paragraphs of glop format
	of /etc/security/passwd.

wishlist:
	inactive-expire (expire after x days with no login or other password
	requiring activitiy.)

--
Blars Blarson			blarson@blars.org
				http://www.blars.org/blars.html