In need of a mentor

I've been using linux for a couple years, Debian specfically for about a
year now, and I'm interesting in giving back to the community by
becoming a package maintainer.  I've also been programming for years,
but I haven't yet developed anything worth contributing.  Anyway, I'm
not yet familiar with the exact duties of a maintainer but I understand
generally and I am willing to contribute the time to learn and to
conduct a package maintainer's duties.  If someone could point me
towards specifics, and become my mentor, I would greatly appreciate it.

Cam Desautels <cam@apt2324.com>