Re: In need of a mentor

On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 03:45:04AM -0500, Cam Desautels wrote:
> but I haven't yet developed anything worth contributing.  Anyway, I'm
> not yet familiar with the exact duties of a maintainer but I understand
> generally and I am willing to contribute the time to learn and to
> conduct a package maintainer's duties.  If someone could point me
> towards specifics, and become my mentor, I would greatly appreciate it.

Well, you can be one of the first guinea pigs for the new debian-mentors FAQ
(http://people.debian.org/~mpalmer/debian-mentors_FAQ.html).  That's one
starting place.

As for finding a mentor, well, you've got a whole list full of them here -
certainly a lot more knowledge than you're likely to find in any one
Developer's head.

If you're looking for things to help out with, then consider any of
translations, bug fixing, and general usability testing.  I don't have a
single "point of entry" for translations, but bug fixing is mostly
coordinated at the bug tracking system.  You can ask for all "release
critical" bugs, and then try and kill some of them.  Or, look at packages
you use often, and try and fix any bugs in the BTS for them.

- Matt