Re: RFS: pose - Palm OS Emulator (5th -and last- try)

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 11:04:34PM +0200, Marcin Orlowski wrote:
> all doing your Debian work in own spare time, but doesn't this ring a bell
> that there is something in the whole procedure that simply does not work?

OK, please suggest a better way.  Criteria to be fulfilled are:

1) Nobody should be arbitrarily assigned work; and

2) Nobody can sponsor a package they are unable to comprehensively test.

I'm sure there are others I can't recall right now.

Number 2, especially, is a key requirement.  If DDs are uploading packages
they haven't tested, they have no idea how good/bad/otherwise the package
is.  Yes, you can analyse the code for added vulnerabilities (and reading
over the diff is something I always do) but unless you give the code a bit
of a run, you're potentially uploading complete crap.

In the case of software for Palmpilots and whatnot, unless a DD has
compatible hardware, they can't test it.  (Incidentally, if someone really
wants to get pose in, they can donate a Palm to me and I'll happily test and
sponsor).

> I can fully understand that noone of DD subscribed here may be personally
> not interested in non mainstream app like Pose, but since package needs a
> mentor no matter how mainstream it is, there should be a better way than
> just "good luck" to have one assigned. I have heard many users (not just

Please suggest this better way.  I can't think of it, short of having a
registration webpage (which doesn't work anyway, because people need to go
and check it regularly), and you're still going to have testing/interest
problems.

Non-DDs adopting orphaned packages is even harder, because you need to get
DD interest to upload it, but if a DD was interested they would have adopted
the package.  My suggestion for non-DDs looking to maintain an orphaned
package is to correct all the bugs via NMU and pester debian-qa@l.d.o to get
them uploaded.  They're the only people (pretty much by definition) that are
interested in packages they're not interested in, as it were.  Testing is
still going to be a problem, however, for odd-hardware packages.

> www.apt-get.org counts over 15000 packages at the moment and

is, AFAIK, useless for these purposes.  If the interest is getting it into
Debian, apt-get.org won't help that.

- Matt