Re: Should I remove unused directories from the source tree?

Thomas Viehmann <tv@beamnet.de> schrieb:

> Hi.
>
> Frank Küster wrote:
>> Should I delete these from the original source? It's clear that this
>> won't reduce download size, because they would still be in
>> orig.tar.gz. It would just avoid confusion among people who want to
>> compile a custom version based on my debianized source. What do you (or
>> policy? Didn't find anything) recommend?
> The ideal solution would be asking upstream whether a -full.tar.gz and a
> -main.tar.gz (the latter not carrying the libraries) is an option.

Well, the full.tar.gz would be of no use, would it?

> Apart from that: If you don't delete them from the orig.tar.gz, you probably
> won't get rid of them (deletions are ignored by dpkg-buildpackage).

Oh, I wasn't aware of that. So I will talk to upstream wether I can just
delete them from orig.tar.gz. This archive had to be constructed
manually by me, anyway, because the original source is shipped in two
separate archives which have to be merged.

Thanks, also to the other people,

Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie