Re: Should I remove unused directories from the source tree?

Frank Küster (frank@kuesterei.ch) wrote*:
>Thomas Viehmann <tv@beamnet.de> schrieb:
>> Frank Küster wrote:
>>> Should I delete these from the original source? It's clear that this
>>> won't reduce download size, because they would still be in
>>> orig.tar.gz. It would just avoid confusion among people who want to
>>> compile a custom version based on my debianized source. What do you (or
>>> policy? Didn't find anything) recommend?
>> The ideal solution would be asking upstream whether a -full.tar.gz and a
>> -main.tar.gz (the latter not carrying the libraries) is an option.
>Well, the full.tar.gz would be of no use, would it?
The full.tar.gz would be what they have now and the main.tar.gz would be what you
(or we) want.

>Oh, I wasn't aware of that. So I will talk to upstream wether I can just
>delete them from orig.tar.gz. This archive had to be constructed
>manually by me, anyway, because the original source is shipped in two
>separate archives which have to be merged.
Ideally, they might just do it themselves and relase that along the "comfort"
tarball they distribute now. (Which is what I had in mind above.)

Cheers

T.