Re: Should I remove unused directories from the source tree?

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 05:39:25PM +0200, Frank Küster wrote:

> in a program I am packaging, a copy of the source of libtiff, libpng and
> libjpeg is included (and was originally linked statically). In the
> Debian package, I use the respective Debian libraries, linking
> dynamically, and these directories are unused.
>
> Should I delete these from the original source? It's clear that this
> won't reduce download size, because they would still be in
> orig.tar.gz. It would just avoid confusion among people who want to
> compile a custom version based on my debianized source. What do you (or
> policy? Didn't find anything) recommend?

I don't think it is worthwhile to try to delete them; the mere presence of
these directories should not confuse anyone.

How were you thinking of deleting them?  You say "delete...from the original
source", but then say that .orig.tar.gz would be intact (which is good).

--
 - mdz