Re: Should I remove unused directories from the source tree?

Matt Zimmerman wrote:

in a program I am packaging, a copy of the source of libtiff, libpng and
libjpeg is included (and was originally linked statically). In the
Debian package, I use the respective Debian libraries, linking
dynamically, and these directories are unused.

Should I delete these from the original source? It's clear that this
won't reduce download size, because they would still be in
orig.tar.gz. It would just avoid confusion among people who want to
compile a custom version based on my debianized source. What do you (or
policy? Didn't find anything) recommend?

I don't think it is worthwhile to try to delete them; the mere presence of
these directories should not confuse anyone.

I tend to disagree since it is not instantly clear if these are used to build the target.
ldd clarifies the situation once the application is built, though.

How were you thinking of deleting them?  You say "delete...from the original
source", but then say that .orig.tar.gz would be intact (which is good).
I am not a Debian developer (IANADD?), but I would prefer to have README.Debian
explain the situation and to reduce the original source by the persistently
unused directories. I do not think this is against the debian policy since these files are not really part of the package that is being packed, it is only a technical
commodity to distribute these independent files together with it.

The policy suggests in 5.2 to write a debian/rule target 'get-orig-source'. This could well be used to guarantee reproducability. The tar command has a --delete option that you may consider to use, however, this may be unpractical for your situation.

Steffen

-- Steffen Möller <moeller@pzr.uni-rostock.de>