Re: The Debian Mentors Project

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 05:41:12PM +0200, Emile van Bergen wrote:
> That's not mutually exclusive. Also, you ask who would ever wish to
> delegate the maintainership of a package. I think the answer is every DD
> who has filed a RFA on a package.

RFA is a Request For Adoption, not a delegation. There is no sense in makeing
a delegation. If one cannot/don't want to maintain a package any more, he lets
other people to take it (RFA or O).

> I know. However, there are *existing* packages for which DDs don't
> always have enough time or interest. If you think that isn't true, then
> what are all those orphaned packages doing on WNPP?
[...]
> I know. But because of the packages up for adoption, and the orphaned
> packages, I was under the impression that the DDs need help with those
> packages.

So what's the point? there is someone who wants to maintain a package?
Well: he should take it, close as many bugs as possible, produce a good
working release, and bring us a results. Then what? what does he really need? a
repository for his work or a sponsor? Both you'd say, and that's it. For the
former he may use alioth, for the later he needs a place to look for a willing
sponsor.

> If that's not the case, why are those orphaned packages not removed
> outright?

They are periodically removed.

> Well, I didn't see why you would object to the second sentence. If
> somebody's able to maintain a package through a sponsor well, he may
> still have no desire to become a DD.

So that's the point: you didn't got my reply at all. That sentence is unfair
because it blame the NM process, while mentors.debian.net try to be a Debian
subproject. Debian that blames Debian?

> Well, mentors.debian.net exists, whereas the one you're describing does
> not, so apparently people felt more need for the former.

http://www.internatif.org/bortzmeyer/debian/sponsor/

Have you ever seen our "Developer's corner"?

ciao,
--
Luca - De Whiskey's - De Vitis              | Elegant or ugly code as well
aliases: Luca ^De [A-Z][A-Za-z\-]*[iy]'\?s$ | as fine or rude sentences have