Re: The Debian Mentors Project

Hi, Anthony...

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 03:51:42PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Uh, as far as I can tell, of the above only Daniel is even in the
> n-m queue; Christoph, Ivo and Christoph appear to not be developers,
> applicants, or even sponsored maintainers of any packages in the archive.

You are right. I do plan to apply in a few weeks. However the service
was created especially for people who e.g. have written an application
themselves and do not care about becoming a DD. I could imagine that a
lot of people will upload their packages to our server and then post in
debian-mentors that they seek a sponsor and their package has already
been uploaded. Time will tell.

> ]  In longer terms: only registered Debian developers (DD) are allowed to
> ]  upload packages directly into the official Debian distribution. But
> ]  becoming a DD is a long and painful way.

> Daniel applied to be a maintainer on 2003-03-18 and was assigned an
> application manager nine days ago, according to nm.debian.org. Why are
> we giving debian.net addresses to people who don't want to go through
> the "pain" of authenticating themselves to Debian, demonstrating they
> no what they're doing, and agreeing with Debian's principles?

Please bear with me but from what I was told by a number of package
maintainers it is a really long way until one has become a DD. Just
because Daniel was assigned an AM does not mean there is a guarantee he
will get his DD access in the next weeks. I doubt that.

Be assured that we do completely agree with the social contract the GPL
and in general the Debian principles. Our main motivation to bring up
this service was that there are a lot of developers who read
nm.debian.org and didn not want to become DDs. I understand that a
complex process is needed to keep the distribution clean. However just
this complexity may easily drive people away who could well be an asset
to the community.

I don't mind authenticating myself to Debian. In fact I would really
like to do it. It is less a matter of "wanting".

Enough with _my_ two euro-cents. :)

 Christoph

--
~