Re: The Debian Mentors Project

Hi,

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 04:34:08AM -0500, Luca - De Whiskey's - De Vitis wrote:

> On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 10:02:11AM +0200, Christoph Haas wrote:
> > Please bear with me but from what I was told by a number of package
> > maintainers it is a really long way until one has become a DD. Just
> > because Daniel was assigned an AM does not mean there is a guarantee he
> > will get his DD access in the next weeks. I doubt that.
>
> That's may be true or not: i joined Debian in less than a month. There
> are many factors around that issue.
>
> I want to add my two euro-cents too: IMHO is very unfair, for a Debian
> project, to blame another Debian Project or Debian it self (NM is part of
> Debian).
> More over, it seems to me that you intend to help any non-Debian developer to
> distribute his software regardless of the fact he may want or not to join
> Debian: that's why i also don't see the point in haveing such a sentence.

Regardless, I actually think it's a wonderful scaleability measure to
provide some infrastructure that allows DDs to delegate some of the
packaging work to NMs in the queue, who can prove that they are worth
their salt, or to non-DDs, who can contribute to the project in a
controlled manner that way.

I think there is a niche for such non-DD contributors. Not only in
bugreporting and bugfixing, but also in packaging work. The number of
packages is already huge, and arguably more than the DDs can handle,
if you look at the number of orphaned packages.

Of course, if nobody cares about them, they should be removed, but it
may very well be that no DD cares about them enough to continue doing
all the packaging work, while other people do care and are willing to
work through a sponsor.

Allowing DDs to take advantage of the work of lesser gods, whenever that
is practical and useful, seems a good thing for all parties concerned.

And no, IANADD.

Cheers,

Emile.

--