Re: Installing writable configuration files for an Apache module.

On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 12:07:12AM +0200, Kalle Kivimaa wrote:

> Are the files purely written by Apache or are they configuration
> files? If the latter, then I think they should reside in /etc.
> Otherwise I think /var/lib is the correct place for them.

  Both unfortunately.

  There's a couple of site-wide configuration files which appear
 to be read only, and a tree of user files.  (One for each user
 registered upon the site, etc).

  Unfortunately these files must reside in the same location,
 so splitting them into a conf file and some data files doesn't
 appear to be an option.

> Shouldn't they be installed as whatever user Apache is running as when
> installed out of the box (or you could even parse the httpd.conf in
> your postinst)? Then only Apache should be able to modify them, unless
> the local administrator has decided otherwise.

  Hmm that's something I'd not considered, yes I shall do that.

  Within the postinst I can change the ownership of the directory,
 and it's contents to the www-run, or whatever, user.

Steve
---