Installing writable configuration files for an Apache module.

Hi,

  I've just finished creating and testing a new package,
 libapache-mod-virgule, this is the module which is behind the
 Advogato.org website.

  The module uses a set of .xml files for it's configuration, and
 for storing user login details - and I'm a little unsure as to
 where they should be installed.

  Currently I create a directory '/var/lib/mod-virgule' and place
 them there.  However I do there could be a better location to use
 and I'm open to suggestions.

  One concern is that these files must be writable by the apache
 process - to do that I've installed a new user and group and made
 the directory +S.

  The alternative is to install them nobody:nogroup, which is bad.

  Now obviously anybody with a login shell upon the box can tamper
 with these files - if there's a good solution that I've not thought
 of I'd appreciate hearing of it..

Steve
---
www.steve.org.uk